Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Living in Vintage

Note, although I have the best intentions written in this post, I actually wrote it about two weeks ago. Yeah... Anyway, I really am going to do better now. I have my schedule all worked out so that I have Wednesdays open, so I will hopefully write at least one post a week from here on out.

     Well, I am back at school now and busy with homework already. I am also going to be in the school play, and I have a job, so pretty busy! I honestly think though, that I will be able to keep up with blogging better than I did before. My New Years Resolution (though it's pretty casual, since I've never really done New Years Resolutions) is to be more disciplined in life. This may seem like a strange one to people who know me, because I always get done what must be done and am very driven and busy. But the thing is, I don't do the other stuff. I don't take the time to read my favorite book, blog about what I love, sew, or spend time in the Word. I sleep in as late as I can, so I don't have time to try something new with my hair; it has to be the same-old same-old. I want to make the time to still be alive, even with deadlines!
     I am a huge advocate of vintage the way it was actually worn. I love seeing photos of ordinary girls wearing casual, everyday wear. It is still beautiful clothing, but it shows me how to dress in a real life way. The problem with this is that people often say things along these lines to me, "I know you like vintage, but you aren't like such-and-such; she wears it all the time." and I cringe. It irritates me. The problem is that the clothing I am wearing is very timeless. Sweaters and skirts are never really going out of style, neither are blouses. I was expressing this frustration to my mom, and she said something that has really stuck with me, "That means you have succeeded, you don't look like you're wearing a costume. You look like you are wearing your clothes." and she was absolutely right. It has always been my goal to wear what I love without making a big show of it. People will compliment me, but they don't say "I love how vintage you look!" they say "You always look so nice!" I realize now that that is the compliment worth gaining. And deep down, I know that I am vintage. People around me won't necessarily understand what all vintage means. Since it is such a fad right now, people think peter pan collars and lace make something vintage, which isn't entirely false. But they don't know about the everyday, average girl that actually used to live. I just have some extra information, and I can be happy with that.
     So, if you find yourself becoming irritated by people who haven't done their research, just stop and realize that you have succeeded. You are wearing your closet, which happens to be vintage, and people see you first. That isn't a bad thing!
     Here are a bunch of pictures of a few of the outfits I have worn recently. Hope you enjoy!











Lots of love,

7 comments:

  1. Those are cute outfits. The first one is my favorite. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about not doing the things you enjoy right now. When you are in college, you are so busy that there isn't time for reading books for fun or doing much in the way of hobbies. If you fit any in, you are doing great. Once you are out of college you will probably have a lot more time for doing what you want. You may even get bored! Also, I like that your outfits have a vintage feel but don't look like you are wearing a costume. It is classy and real-life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I agree, it is very hard to fit in those fun things, but I think that it is important for me. I have actually been succeeding at reading more, so I am proud of myself on that score. And thank you for saying that last part, it is always so nice to have that sort of affirmation!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that pin! And the hat. And pretty much everything in the third outfit. (They're all adorable, but that one really caught my eye.) Did you make the hat? It looks like crochet. Beautiful! And Mom is absolutely right. Congratulations! You've succeeded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimm. I have had the pin for ages, but I haven't really worn it much. I did not make that hat, I found it back in September with some other hats. I talked about it a little bit here (http://vintageperfect.blogspot.com/2013/09/hectic-life.html). I just discovered that I could wear it differently, which is why it hasn't really shown up before.

      Delete
  3. I especially love your first outfit; the silhouette is so flattering and classy!
    And you're so right, Hannah! Generally, people really don't know what is a vintage style or not unless it's so out of the ordinary that it almost punches them in the face with uniqueness (aka a crinoline or bright hat). I sometimes feel lame for not having vintage wear all the time, but then I think..... I'm 99% sure that if there were sweatpants in the 40s, women would have worn them, especially in those lounging times! Clothing has evolved from what it was for a reason, and many of those reasons have to do with comfort! Just do what you do, wear what you wear and just roll with it.
    As in, right now I'm wearing high-waisted jeans, a sweater from the mall, and grandma shoes from the DAV. (Basically creating a grandma jeans look.) I look ridiculous, but..... it works. I do what I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's so true, Emileigh! And I love your high waisted jeans! I don't think they look ridiculous at all. Anyway, high waists are coming back in :)

      Delete
  4. I love this post and the pics. The hat in the last one is a very unique shape; I was trying to figure out if it was crocheted too! The other commenters are right, you are succeeding in creating a vintage look that wears well day in and out, and is uniquely you =)

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete