Saturday, February 8, 2014

My Vintage PenalJo Spectator Heels

     Well, to begin with here are a couple of pictures that show my bangs off better.


     I promised I would show you my exciting thrift store find, and here they are! These shoes just make my heart flutter. I am having issues dating them, because I do not have much experience with shoes. They are labeled 9N, which, from what I can find, would place them in the 70s since earlier shoes would have been labeled with an A-D system instead. However, I think that they could easily have come from earlier. I know that they were made in Taiwan and they are real leather with a man-made balance; and that is the extent of my knowledge. If anyone has any further information, I would love to hear! Again, I haven't researched shoes nearly as much as other garments.



      Even though I usually like to stay before about 1965 or so, I think that these shoes are absolutely timeless. Based on appearances only, I thought they might have been from as early as the 30s. This is not the case, unfortunately; but I am not turning my nose up at them just because they are from the 70s! Every time that I wear these shoes I get a big grin on my face. They are just so perfect in every way; my only problem now is to keep them intact and not stress too much about actually wearing them! Oh, and did I mention that they were only $4? I will love these shoes forever.


     Now I just need to find some saddle shoes and some proper black flats to keep my shoe closet sensible! My present life as a student has been rather hard to come to terms with, since so many things require me to be sensible, especially as a theatre major. It is hard for me to wear these shoes very often, since the first time that I wore them the company label completely came off (along with most of the interior lining, which was leather); it all flaked off and got stuck to my socks. However, the inside was already flaking when I bought them. I almost didn't buy them because of this, not realizing they were vintage till I got them home; observant, right? Anyway, the outside is in absolutely flawless condition, so I shouldn't worry too much.
     I have been spending a lot of time drooling over pretty vintage frocks on Pinterest lately, and I think that I am going to go stir crazy without the ability to make anything new. I was definitely on a slightly lethargic, I-just-don't-care streak for a while there, since I am so busy. I guess, I have been remembering why I fell in love with the 50s to begin with, and I am dying to fatten up my wardrobe some. The sad thing is that about 800 miles away I have tons of fabric, patterns, and a sewing machine just waiting to be made into pretty things. My closet is nothing short of irritating to me right now. I have one skirt that I feel I can really wear (I overdo it on summer sewing, cotton is just so wonderful!) and not many dresses. I have been wearing jeans way more than I would like. This wouldn't bother me so much if they were at least vintage style. Fortunately the Spring semester always goes super fast!
Lots of love to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment